Sunday, June 21, 2015

Gravy day.

Every year on June 20 I celebrate another "gravy day".  My dad used to use that term to describe an extra day off or an easy day at work.  Today I am the same age as my father was when he passed away, plus 7 years.  I have outlived my male forebears and if I may say so, in a healthy way.  I like to think the 7 to 10 hours a week I spend exercising and the discipline it takes to eat a healthy diet has been worth it and that I have used this extra time well.  Today I ran 8.22 miles and did about 10 minutes stretching afterwards and I feel fine. This past year I was able to overcome the effects of degenerative joint disease in my back with physical therapy which I continue to do on a daily basis and intend to for life.  I cannot run as fast as I once did but I do run a few half marathons a year and frequent 5k races where I am competitive in my age group so I feel some accomplishment there.  I also feel fine in my everyday tasks and handle the stress of my full time job as well as those much younger than me so I feel my time exercising and eating well is well spent.  So soldier on and keep living better.

No comments:

Post a Comment